Welcome to the Office of the Comptroller
Honorable Joan M. Pratt, CPA
About the Comptroller
Thank you for visiting the Office of the Comptroller, Baltimore City. The Comptroller's Office executes the functions mandated by the City Charter and other pertinent legislation. The Comptroller has executive responsibility for the City's independent audit function as well as the Departments of Real Estate and Communication Services.
The Comptroller is one of three citywide elected officials and is responsible for the effective and efficient fiscal management of the City. The City of Baltimore Charter provides:
The Comptroller shall:
- Serve as a member of the Board of Estimates.
- Serve as a member of the Board of Finance.
- Have such general supervision of the Department of Audits and the activities of the City Auditor as provided for in the Charter.
- Be responsible for the proper conduct, management, and operation of the Department of Real Estate.
The Comptroller also is responsible for the Department of Communication Services, which provides telecommunication data and postal services for City agencies.
The Comptroller's biography can be viewed by clicking here.
City Boards & Commissions
The current Comptroller serves as a member of several City Boards and Commissions including:
- Employees' Retirement System and Elected Officials' Retirement System, which she currently serves as Vice-Chair.
- Fire and Police Employees' Retirement System
- Expenditure Control Committee
- Space Utilization Committee
- Architectural and Engineering Awards Commission
- Baltimore Hotel Corporation
- Retirement Savings Plan (RSP) Board of Trustees Investment Advisory Committee
Office of the Comptroller Office Organizational Chart
Statement from Baltimore City Comptroller Joan Pratt on Inspector General Report on the Municipal Telephone Exchange
Comptroller of Maryland
General Information 410-767-1555
Maryland Tax Line 410-260-7980
Maryland Tax Refund Request Line 410-260-7701
Unclaimed Property Information 410-767-1700
Maryland Public Information Act
To request public records from the Office of the Comptroller, send the request to the PIA representative for this Office:
Assistant for Public Affairs
100 N. Holliday Street, Room 304
Baltimore, MD 21202