In this section, we provide you answers to general questions about the City of Baltimore’s new phone system and the Mitel Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phones.
- What is VoIP?
Mitel phones are replacing the old Meridian Nortel sets in the City. VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) allows the transmission of voice telephone calls across the Baltimore City data network.
- Can I keep my phone number when I convert to VoIP?
Yes, MTE is working with Verizon and Century link to transfer existing numbers over to the new system.
- What kind of phone will I receive?
The most common phone for standard use is Mitel 5320e. Learn more about VoIP phones on the quick reference guide.
- Do I have to purchase a new phone?
During the initial implementation for your department, MTE will replace existing desk phones with VoIP compatible phones at no cost.
- Can I still call 9-1-1 and 3-1-1 from my VoIP phone?
Yes, you can still dial 9-1-1 and 3-1-1 as before.
- Are calls routed over the public internet?
No. Internal telephone calls within City agencies are carried by the BCIT data network. Incoming calls to and outgoing calls from the City will be carried by one of our local vendors, Verizon or Century Link.
- Do VoIP phones work during power outages?
Your VoIP phone will work as long as the BCIT network is up and running. If the power outage causes the entire network in the City to be down, then your phone will be off.
- How do I dial a number that is within the City or out of the City?
To dial a number within the City, pick up the handset and dial the last 5 digits of the telephone number. For local or long-distance calls, dial 9 for an outside dial tone and the number.
For Example:63100 (calls within the City)
9- 410-555-2222 (local or long distance).
- What is the Corporate Directory function on my phone?
The directory is a feature of all Mitel phones. It allows you to do a search, locate and dial any user on the City telephone network.
- Are Auto Attendants available on the Mitel Phones?
Yes, auto-attendant technology which provides phone trees is readily available on the Mitel phones. If you need assistance, please contact the MTE help desk at X41690.
- Can I use a wireless headset on Mitel Phones?
Yes, the new Mitel phones are compatible with a variety of headsets. If you have a unique need for a headset please contact your telephone coordinator.
- What can I use to clean my Mitel phone when it is dirty?
We recommend cleaning your phone with wipes or soft towels. Do not use paper towels or rough materials that may tend to scratch the phone.
- Can I move my own telephone after it is installed?
Yes, however, you can only move your phone to another desk within the same physical area (floor and building). Do not move your phone to another floor or building. To ensure your safety and protection in the event of an emergency the phone must be moved by the MTE and the physical location of the phone updated so that 911 can locate you.
- How do I obtain training for VoIP?
MTE VoIP training sessions are scheduled throughout the year. Contact the help desk for additional information x41690.
- I have questions about my recent telephone bill.
Contact your telephone coordinator or call the MTE billing department at X64926.